Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Whistleblower (2010)

Language: English

Actors: Rachel Weisz, Monica Bellucci & Vanessa Redgrave

Director: Larysa Kondracki

Screenplay: Larysa Kondracki, Eilis Kirwan

This movie chronicles the (true) story of Kathryn Bolkovac, a US policewoman & UN peacekeeper in Bosnia. She blew the lid about human trafficking that was happening which involved the officers in duty from many countries. Initially persecuted by her own employers & then fired from her job, she later took her employers to court. Although she own her case, the CASE was lost. Most of the people indicted were let off (they were just struck off rolls) because of the immunity they enjoyed in Bosnia.

Rachel Weisz does fantastically well as Bolkovac, so do the other cast. Strong narrative, amazingly seamless, although graphic at times this one is a lovely movie. Credit for this movie should definitely go to the screenwriters, Larysa Kondracki and Eilis Kirwan. Although the last 3-4 frames gave you a bit of a documentary feel, this is an out and out feature based on a real life account.

The one drawback I faced was my not understanding Bosnian (I presume that is the language that comes in the movie in some parts…), what compounded the problem was the non-availability of subtitles. I’m not sure if that was a problem with the print I was watching or the film was made this way. All I could pick-up was a few Romanov’s & Molotov’s, I hope it was the print I was watching and not the movie.
Another movie I would place between SuperWatch & GoodWatch… The lower meniscus wins again, I would put this in the GoodWatch rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment